Smith Wins Thriller at Daytona
Patience And Skill Bring Home Top-10 For Smith
Regan Smith and the No. 7 TaxSlayer.com team rebounded from a cut tire to score an eighth-place finish in Friday night’s VFW Help a Hero 200 at Darlington Raceway. Prior to the tire issue, Smith’s race was relatively quiet, as he steadily maintained a position among the top-10. The high point for the No. 7 team came after a lap-61 pit stop under caution, which propelled Smith four positions to third. With a loose condition on restarts, Smith slipped to seventh after the green-flag waved.
Smith was riding in eighth on lap 87 when the left-rear tire of the TaxSlayer.com machine suddenly went down, initiating a smoke-filled spin and bringing out another caution. Smith hit pit road for fresh tires and lined up 23rd for the restart. Once up to speed, Smith put on a showcase of patience, skill and speed, climbing 15 positions to find his place among the top-10 prior to the checkered flag.
The finish gives Smith his seventh-consecutive top-10 finish in as many races this season.
Smith’s JRM teammate and rookie standout Chase Elliott won the race in his first start at the treacherous facility. It marked the first back-to-back Nationwide Series wins in JRM history. He was followed to the line by Elliott Sadler, Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch and Joey Logano.
Regan Smith, driver No. 7 TaxSlayer.com team
“It was a great effort by our TaxSlayer team tonight. We tried to stay with the track on changes, but at times it was a struggle. It was disappointing to line up that far back after we cut that tire. Still we didn’t lose focus and made up a lot of positions. It was a solid point’s day and we’ll take it and move on to Richmond."
“Congratulations to Chase, Greg, all the guys on the NAPA team and everyone at JRM. What an awesome job they’ve done over the past two weeks. They’re a talented bunch and I’m thankful to be part of such a strong organization.”
Regan Smith Race Report:
VFW Sport Clips
Help a Hero 200
||Laps Completed (Led)
||147 of 147 (0)
||Standings (From Leader)
- Regan Smith: Smith 2013 NNS 'Comeback Driver of the Year' (December 18, 2013)
- Highlights From First Half Of 2013 Season (July 12, 2013)
- NASCAR's Regan Smith on Ohio (July 10, 2013)
- Regan Smith, 2013 Subway Firecracker 250, onboard last 15 laps at Daytona, FL (July 5, 2013)
- Regan Smith talks about finishing third at the Royal Purple 300 (March 23, 2013)
- REGAN SMITH TO HEADLINE RACE NIGHT
(January 13, 2013)
- NASCAR’s Top 25 drivers: Regan Smith’s disappointing season ends on high note with Hendrick Motorsports, Dale Earnhardt Jr. (December 7, 2012)
- Mr. Smith goes to Martinsville ... without a ride (October 26, 2012)
- JR Motorsports signs Regan Smith (October 25, 2012)
- JRM 360: Episode 36 - Announcing Regan as 2013 driver (October 24, 2012)
- Patience And Skill Bring Home Top-10 For Smith (April 12, 2014)
- Smith Hopes To Add A Win In Darlington (April 10, 2014)
- Consistency Continues For Smith At Texas (April 5, 2014)
- Smith Heads for Texas Tied For The Points Lead (April 1, 2014)
- Smith Nabs Top-10 At Fontana (March 23, 2014)
- Regan Smith Debuts Best Foods at Auto Club Speedway (March 19, 2014)
- Smith Retains Points Lead After Top-10 Bristol Finish (March 16, 2014)
- Bristol Coming Into Focus For Smith (March 12, 2014)
- Regan Smith Battles For Top-10 Finish in Las Vegas (March 9, 2014)
- Points Leader To Try His Luck In Las Vegas (March 4, 2014)
- Smith Takes Top-10 Finish Despite Phoenix Rain (March 2, 2014)
- TaxSlayer Makes Its 7 Debut at Phoenix (February 26, 2014)
- Smith Wins Thriller at Daytona (February 23, 2014)